The BEST chicken crock pot recipe! You just have to try this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili! Loaded with flavor, easy, and delicious.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Little Home in the Making may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. See our disclaimer for more information.Jump to Recipe
It’s finally Crocktober, and me? I’m psyched. I’ve been waiting all hot, sweaty summer for this moment and I’m glad it’s finally arrived. The house has cooled down, there are leaves on the ground, and it’s finally time to pull out my crock pot and all my favorite soup recipes. The summer is not my favorite time for cooking, admittedly. I’ve never been one who is particularly adept at grilling (I recall watching the grill for my husband and it catching on fire under my supervision), so most of our summer meals have to be cooked indoors. I love using my Instant Pot in the summer since it doesn’t heat up the house, but most of my favorite recipes for the Instant Pot are soups (like this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana), which aren’t exactly summer fare.
The Best Chicken Crock Pot Recipe
But now, here in October, I feel I am in the sweet spot for all sorts of cooking. Roast chicken, simmering soups, and pumpkin-spiced-everything abound in my kitchen during this time, but most of all I welcome the return of my slow cooker.
Yes, slow cookers can be used throughout the summer as well, but I find that soups in particular are quite delightful when made in our beloved crock pot. This recipe for White Chicken Chili, in my opinion, is the BEST chicken crock pot recipe. There is just something so exciting about coming home to the delicious smells of White Chicken Chili wafting through the front door. It’s like coming home to a nice, warm hug. But that hug is soup, and you can eat it.
What Do I Need to Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili?
- Chicken Breasts: We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. These are great for soups because they can be shredded without worrying about getting all the bones picked out.
- Green Chilies: 2 small cans of chilies are used in this recipe. They are on the low end as far as heat goes, so I wouldn’t worry about these being too spicy unless you have a particularly picky palette. My 1 year old son was easily able to have some of this soup!
- Great Northern Beans: Canned beans work well here, but you can use home cooked beans in their place if you desire. I use about 1.5 cups of cooked beans for every can called for in the recipe.
- Onion and Garlic: An essential element to almost any soup!
- Jalapeno: I use fresh chopped jalapeno in this recipe. I’ve seeded mine, but if you like more heat you can leave some seeds in.
- Seasonings: We see basic seasonings like salt and pepper in this recipe, but there are also some complimentary seasonings used like cumin and oregano.
- Chicken Broth: You can use homemade, canned, or boxed in this recipe. Whatever works for you!
- Sour Cream: This is what gives the soup its creaminess and helps balance the heat.
- Lime Juice: You can use bottled lime juice in this recipe, but if you’re buying fresh limes for topping and serving, you might as well use fresh lime juice too!
- Toppings: Fresh lime wedges, cilantro, and Monterey jack all top this delicious soup and amp those flavors up several notches! An absolute must in my opinion.
- A Slow Cooker: Of course! My favorite slow cooker is this programmable one. I like that I can set the time, so I don’t have to worry about the soup over cooking or burning while I’m out for the day.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts about 2lbs
- 1 medium Onion peeled and chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 2 4.5oz cans Green Chilies
- 2 15oz cans Great Northern Beans or 4 cups homemade beans
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- ½ tsp. Mineral Salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- ¾ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- ½ cup Packed and Chopped Cilantro Leaves for serving
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese for serving (optional)
- Lime Wedges for serving (optional)
- Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, and chopped garlic cloves.
- Add the green chilies and great northern beans.
- Add the oregano, cumin, table salt, and black pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir well.
- Cook on “Low” for 6 hours, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165F.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred with two forks.
- Add in the sour cream and mix well until smooth.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker, then add in the lime juice and stir.
- Garnish the soup with the chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges and shredded Monterey Jack Cheese.