This Cedarwood and Citrus Beard Oil is the PERFECT gift for Father’s Day, Birthdays, Christmas and more! An all natural DIY gift made with jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, essential oils, and love! An easy homemade gift that is fun to make, and even more fun to give away! Includes free printable labels for that polished, professional look.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click a link and make a purchase, we receive a commission at no additional cost to you. See our disclaimer for more information. For entertainment and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. Always seek the advice of your health provider.
When it comes to finding the perfect gift for my husband, it can be difficult. If we had an unlimited budget, it would be totally easy! A new TV, a tractor, a new truck: these are all things he would love! But unless we win the lottery (which we don’t play 😂) anytime soon, that’s just not going to happen.
Instead, like many of us, I need to work within the confines of a reasonable budget. I also want to give him something special, and something that shows him I care. Enter the handmade DIY gift.
Is Beard Oil a Good Father’s Day Gift?
I love making gifts for my husband, and he loves to receive them! From everything to hand knit mittens, to this carefully crafted beard oil, it’s so much fun to create with your own two hands.
Handmade gifts take time, consideration, and preparation. Nothing shows how much you care more than making a gift, especially for the one you love and care about. And when it comes to Father’s Day, I want it to be all about him. My husband works 10 hour days and travels 2 hours a day to provide for his family. He works hard to make sure we have what we need, and I want to make sure he has something special just for him. This Father’s Day Beard Oil fits the bill.
Not only is it hand crafted, it’s an all-natural formulation that treats his skin and beard right. Jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, and avocado oil all combine with the luxurious scents of cedarwood and orange to create a moisturizing beard oil that isn’t greasy. It coats coarse beard hairs with smoothing oils without weighing it down. It pairs perfectly with a wooden comb for the perfect Father’s Day Gift.
It’s also fitted with a customized label, which I’ve designed and included in a PDF format so you can give the special man in your life a polished and pretty (ahem, *manly) bottle of Cedarwood and Orange Beard Oil.
This is one handmade gift you can be proud to give.
How to Make Beard Oil for Father’s Day
Making this Father’s Day Beard Oil is SOOOO simple. Once you have your ingredients and supplies (see below), all you have to do is combine, decant into an amber glass bottle, print and place the label, and ta-da! You’re done! This whole process takes less than 10 minutes!
Once you have the base ingredients for the beard oil, you can come up with all sorts of scents and formulations. You could even ask your hubby to help you find the perfect combo of scents for him!
How to Apply Beard Oil
Use the dropper portion of the amber glass bottle to squeeze a few drops of oil into your finger tips. Massage gently with the opposite hand, and apply evenly to the beard. Use a wooden comb (like this one) to work the oil in evenly. Then set it and forget it! It’s as simple as that.
Ingredients Needed to Make Cedarwood and Orange Father’s Day Beard Oil:
- Cedarwood Essential Oil: That nice, long lasting manly scent comes mostly from Cedarwood essential oil. One of the least expensive essential oils, and great for the skin!
- Orange Essential Oil: Complimentary to cedarwood essential oil and adds just a subtle touch of citrus. Find it on Amazon.
- Jojoba Oil: The gold standard when it comes to best oils for the skin and hair. A smaller bottle (like this one from NOW) goes a long way and keeps the cost down.
- Sweet Almond Oil: A well loved and well used carrier oil for essential oils. You can get it on Amazon.
- Avocado Oil: Like skin and hair food! Avocados are good for the body, and avocado oil is too! You can use any standard avocado oil you purchase from the grocery store, or you can purchase online.
Tools and Equipment Needed:
- 2oz Amber Glass Bottle with Dropper Lid: Make sure to purchase the 2oz size, rather than the 1oz. The labels for this project are formatted for the 2oz size, not the smaller bottles. These are great for containing the beard oil, and they include the dropper lid for application. You can also use these for making facial serums and oil cleansers.
- Mini Funnel: This makes sure every drop of your beard oil gets into the intended vessel! Waste not, want not! These ones are stainless steel and perfect for a variety of DIY gift ideas.
- Small Liquid Measuring Cup: Preferably one with a spout, like this one from Anchor Hocking. This makes measuring precise, which is important since you don’t want to overflow the bottle and lose your precious Father’s Day beard oil!
- Sticker Paper, for labels (optional): I used an everyday variety of sticker paper, but will be upgrading to this Vinyl Sticker Paper on Amazon. You can use it in your regular ink jet printer, but it has waterproof qualities. So important when you’re talking about a homemade skin care product, since it’s likely to get wet! You could also cover a standard piece of paper or sticker label with a square of clear packing tape.
How to Print Your Free Labels
It’s very easy to print your free labels! I’ve included two different PDF documents, which each have 9 different labels for your Father’s Day Beard Oils. The first sheet contains a variety of 9 different labels, including some with the “Happy Father’s Day” and “Best Dad Ever” message. The second sheet contains 3 different designs, in 3 different colors.
All you have to do to print the labels is to download the PDF documents, load your printer with sticker paper (like this vinyl paper) and print the document.
Download the Free Printable Label PDF’s Here:
How to Cut the Labels
Once you’ve printed the labels, use a pair of sharp scissors to carefully cut around the outline box.
How to Place the Labels
Peel the back off the sticker paper gently, and use your eye to center the label on the amber bottle. These labels are designed for 2oz amber bottles; they will be oversized if you use 1oz bottles.
How to Seal the Labels
If you purchased vinyl sticker paper, you can use a UV sealing spray. If you’ve used plain white paper, or matte sticker paper, you can place a square of clear packing tape over the label to help add a waterproof layer. Be sure to do so gently, because it’s very easy to get wrinkles and creases when placing the packing tape.
Complete the Gift
Add on to your DIY Father’s Day Gift with a few inexpensive items:
- Wooden Comb: The helps distribute the beard oil evenly and can be tied onto the bottle with a piece of twine for an attractive look.
- Safety Razor: Perfect for cleaning up around the sides of a beard or mustache. My husband says that he will never go back to modern razors!
- Shaving Set: Great for that vintage vibe!
- 3/4 oz Jojoba Oil
- 1/2 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
- 1/2 oz. Avocado Oil
- 25 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 10 drops Orange Essential Oil
- In a small measuring cup with a pouring spout, combine all of the listed ingredients.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Fit a 2oz amber bottle with a mini funnel and pour the beard oil mixture into the funnel, slowly so as not to overflow.
- Secure the dropper lid and wipe off any oils that have dripped down the side.
- Once the glass is clean and dry, add your printable label of choice (if using).
- To use, add some beard oil to your fingertips using the dropper. Massage it using the fingers from your other hand and work the oils into the beard evenly.
Note for Pregnant and Nursing Women
There is little literature on the effect of essential oils on pregnant and nursing women. Some essential oils (like Clary Sage, Pennyroyal, and Basil) are considered dangerous. If you are pregnant and nursing and would like to make this Father’s Day Beard Oil, consult with your care provider or midwife first to ensure it is safe for you to do so.