Are you looking for a great side dish for Taco Tuesday, Potluck or BBQ? Try this AWESOME and frugal Jalapeno Cheddar Creamy Corn Casserole!
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Little Home in the Making may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.Jump to Recipe
Taco Tuesdays are a thing in my home. I try to do one every week, and generally end up making my Skillet Chicken Fajitas. The problem I tend to run into is: What on earth do I serve on the side!? Sometimes I make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, but sometimes we want something creamy, cheesy, and totally indulgent. Those times call for this Jalapeno Cheddar Creamy Corn Casserole.
This Corn Casserole is a Frugal Potluck or BBQ Side Dish
The best thing about this dish is that a little goes a long way. Since it’s so rich and creamy, just a small serving really satisfies. That means you can bring it to a fun potluck or BBQ and know that a little bit will go a long way. Although it makes an excellent summer side, it can work for all times of year since frozen corn kernels are always available! Gotta love that! This fits in a standard 9X13 baking dish, but if you want to avoid bring a dish home you can absolutely use a foil pan. I keep a big stack of them in my cupboard, that way they are available if I need to take a meal or if I want to prepare a freezer meal.
What Do I Need to Make Jalapeno Cheddar Creamy Corn Casserole?
- Frozen Corn Kernels: This recipe makes excellent use of inexpensive frozen corn kernels!
- Fresh Jalapeno Peppers: Just 2 fresh peppers, seeded and chopped, add a touch of heat to this recipe. Feel free to leave it out if you have sensitive taste buds in the family, but I don’t find it particularly hot.
- Cream Cheese: I like to use the brick cream cheese in this recipe. It melts better and doesn’t separate like the tubs of cream cheese do.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Using cheddar from the block that you shred yourself works best here. Since you’re melting the cheese, the anti-caking agents in pre-shredded cheese can interfere and make a grainy end product.
- Salted Butter: When in doubt, use salted butter!
- Heavy Cream: Adds a nice creaminess and a little more liquid.
- Seasoning: Since there is plenty of salt in the other ingredients, all you need is a little black pepper to taste.
Jalapeno Cheddar Creamy Corn Casserole
- 32 oz Frozen Corn Kernels about 6 cups
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup Salted Butter
- 8 oz Brick Style Cream Cheese cubed
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 9X13 casserole dish.
- Add the corn and the jalapeno peppers to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the cream cheese cubes and stir until completely smooth and uniform. Be careful, since the butter may splash up on you. Just be gentle and patient.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted completely.
- Add the heavy cream and stir until completely smooth.
- Add the sauce to the bowl of frozen corn and jalapeno peppers. Toss well to combine.
- Pour the sauce-coated corn and jalapeno peppers into the prepared casserole dish. Spread it out evenly and sprinkle with a little bit of black pepper. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour and serve immediately!